(281) 895-2410 sheila@johnsoncrewlaw.com
maritime law

Maritime Law FAQ


Maritime law is complex. At Johnson & Crew in League City, we take pride in helping our clients understand the law. When you contact us for a free consultation with an attorney about your case, we will answer any questions you have.

Here are some answers to general questions about maritime accident claims.


What Should I Do After Suffering An Offshore Injury?


Obviously medical care is critical. If you were injured at work, you should fill out an accident report as soon as possible. Use caution when discussing the claim with your employer or an insurance company, and be careful what you sign. Before you sign anything, you may want to have a lawyer review your case to make certain nothing is overlooked.


What Laws Apply In Maritime Injury Cases?


Some of the laws that apply depending on the situation include the Jones Act, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA), the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) and the Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA).


Which Law Will Govern My Claim?


The law that governs your case will depend on a variety of factors, including the type of accident. Different laws will apply depending on whether you were a passenger or you were injured while working offshore. For injured seamen, most claims are Jones Act claims.


How Much Is My Case Worth?


The value of your case will depend on the situation and the laws that apply. The Jones Act entitles injured seamen to more compensation than is available through ordinary workers’ compensation. You may also be eligible for maintenance and cure benefits.


Do I Need An Attorney?


Whichever law governs your claim, you can be certain it is complex. By enlisting an experienced attorney, you can be confident that your rights are being protected and action is being taken to get you all the compensation you deserve. Be aware that land-based workers’ compensation and personal injury claims are handled quite differently than offshore cases, and different laws apply. While many land-based accident attorneys are willing to help, you should review an attorney’s record for success handling cases like yours.

We begin every case with a free consultation. Call 281-895-2410 or contact our office online to get answers to any question you have and find out how we can help you recover fair compensation. We serve people in Galveston County, throughout Texas and nationwide who work on and travel over the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean Sea and waters beyond.